Schools Served as Subject Librarian
Research Support Services
- Assistance in researching topics for theses and dissertations, papers and projects, course web pages and class assignments in the areas of literature, media and communication.
- Assistance with database selection and searching strategies.
- Assistance with citation verification and literature searches.
- Research and reference assistance by appointment, e-mail, and phone.
Teaching and Other Services
- Customized course-integrated class instruction on finding information for specific classes or assignments, including research guides.
- Instruction and demonstrations for individuals, groups, or classes on using the the GT Catalog and databases.
- Consultation concerning recommendations for purchase of library materials.
- Consultation with faculty in structuring successful library assignments.
Research Interests/Selected Scholarly Publications and Presentations
- Instructional design, assessment and pedagogy
- Science fiction, fantasy and popular culture
Viars, Karen, Mary Ann Cullen and Amy Stalker. "Handheld Learning: Authentic Assessment Using iPads." Experiential Learning in Academic and Research Libraries. Ed. Peter McDonnell. Oxford, UK: Chandos Publishing, 2016.
Viars, Karen and Cait Coker. "Looking for Lothiriel: The Presence of Women in Tolkien Fandom." Fan Phenomena: The Lord of the Rings. Ed. Lorna Piatti-Farnell. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press: Intellect Press, 2015.
"Instructional Design: An Introduction for Librarians" invited presentation for the National Network of Libraries of Medicine Southeastern Atlantic Region, August 17, 2016
- American Library Association
- Georgia Library Association
Master of Science in Information Science
University of Tennessee
Master of Science in Instructional Design & Technology
Georgia State University
Bachelor of Arts in English Literature
University of Georgia
Study Abroad - Oxford University (Jesus College), Oxford, UK